I lost the turbo boost on my 2002 Jetta TDI.
So I started checking all the items that could be wrong.
I first checked the hoses which are at times the problem.
Using a vacuum pump I pumped it up but got zero reading that was from the gauge so I pinched the line going to the VNT actuator vacuum line going to it.
All along the line even where there was wear I had full vacuum.
So then I stated the car as the N75 valve check showed I had vacuum there.
So next I hooked up a brand new hose to the actuator and pumped again nothing Zero.
So I looked for VW Actuator parts they were like $220 from VW $109 from German auto parts my regular place to get parts.
So then good old Ebay they had some starting at $16 and up so I found a dealer that had the OEM Garrett actuator for $59.99 tdi_upgrades and ordered Sunday night it arrived on Wednesday morning and I went out and got the car on ramps removed the EVO imports skid plate and worked on the turbo from the bottom.
Removing the 2 nuts that hold the actuator not the bracket.
Then getting the clip off was the worst it was frozen on after 15 years.
I got it off but the arm wouldn't come off. So finally seen that the clip had broken off and part was still on the arm.
So I used a pick and got it off and the actuator then came down.
I used a micrometer to measure the distance and set the new one to exactly 85.25 MM after installing it I used the vacuum pump to checked the stop was hitting at 18 inches.
It hit way too early about 15 inches.
I had had to adjust the arm until it hit the stop at 18 inches and it was a long way off so it had to be lengthened several turns so maybe the original was off as well or just junk inside stopping it from fully moving.
So after adjusting tightened all the nuts including the arm nut don't forget that one.
Put the skid plate back on and backed off ramps and went for a ride Turbo is back.
I was worried if driving too long with the turbo out the VNT15 would clog but I think it is fine.
I'll drive it for a week or too and recheck the stops just in case.
Now what I did notice was the car flat spotted when passing or just climbing a hill.
Almost seemed the transmission (AUTO) was not shifting and engine revving.
When shutting off I had noticed the engine shuttered like stalling.
Now it turns right off like it used to.
So maybe Chinese ones are ok but t he one I purchased is Garrett made in Poland. So all is well.
Time to fix it including adjusting about 2 hours.
I used a mirror and a LED flashlight from under the car to watch the VNT stop tab. A little tricky but it worked.
I also replace the vacuum line with some I ordered on Ebay some time ago so ready for the next 15 years on that.
Bruce
So I started checking all the items that could be wrong.
I first checked the hoses which are at times the problem.
Using a vacuum pump I pumped it up but got zero reading that was from the gauge so I pinched the line going to the VNT actuator vacuum line going to it.
All along the line even where there was wear I had full vacuum.
So then I stated the car as the N75 valve check showed I had vacuum there.
So next I hooked up a brand new hose to the actuator and pumped again nothing Zero.
So I looked for VW Actuator parts they were like $220 from VW $109 from German auto parts my regular place to get parts.
So then good old Ebay they had some starting at $16 and up so I found a dealer that had the OEM Garrett actuator for $59.99 tdi_upgrades and ordered Sunday night it arrived on Wednesday morning and I went out and got the car on ramps removed the EVO imports skid plate and worked on the turbo from the bottom.
Removing the 2 nuts that hold the actuator not the bracket.
Then getting the clip off was the worst it was frozen on after 15 years.
I got it off but the arm wouldn't come off. So finally seen that the clip had broken off and part was still on the arm.
So I used a pick and got it off and the actuator then came down.
I used a micrometer to measure the distance and set the new one to exactly 85.25 MM after installing it I used the vacuum pump to checked the stop was hitting at 18 inches.
It hit way too early about 15 inches.
I had had to adjust the arm until it hit the stop at 18 inches and it was a long way off so it had to be lengthened several turns so maybe the original was off as well or just junk inside stopping it from fully moving.
So after adjusting tightened all the nuts including the arm nut don't forget that one.
Put the skid plate back on and backed off ramps and went for a ride Turbo is back.
I was worried if driving too long with the turbo out the VNT15 would clog but I think it is fine.
I'll drive it for a week or too and recheck the stops just in case.
Now what I did notice was the car flat spotted when passing or just climbing a hill.
Almost seemed the transmission (AUTO) was not shifting and engine revving.
When shutting off I had noticed the engine shuttered like stalling.
Now it turns right off like it used to.
So maybe Chinese ones are ok but t he one I purchased is Garrett made in Poland. So all is well.
Time to fix it including adjusting about 2 hours.
I used a mirror and a LED flashlight from under the car to watch the VNT stop tab. A little tricky but it worked.
I also replace the vacuum line with some I ordered on Ebay some time ago so ready for the next 15 years on that.
Bruce
TDI VNT Actuator checking and replacement
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire