Strange Overheating Problem - Looking for advice

mardi 4 juillet 2017

2000 Jetta ALH 364,000 miles.

I’ve read many of the existing posts about an ALH running hot, but none seem to fit what I have going on. Its really hot here in Arizona (110 Fahrenheit Today). While driving around in town today my AC quit. While I was trying to figure out why, a warning light came on showing the car was running hot. Looked at the gauge and saw a temp of 240 degrees (Thank god for idiot lights). I stopped and checked coolant level, good. The fans were both spinning on low speed. I figured the radiator needed more air flow so I got on a stretch of road where I could go faster. Temp did not drop. I cranked the cabin heat and fan on high. I nearly died but the temp came back down to normal.

Went back to my garage and checked the following. When the dash temp reads 190 degrees (normal for my car), the Vag Com shows a temp of 107 C (224 F) Laser temp gauge shows 190 F at the upper radiator hose engine connection. Fans spin at low speed with engine running and go to high speed when the AC is turned on. I have water flow at the small hose on the bottle.

Trying to duplicate the problem, I left the car idling in the garage with the AC turned on high, and watched the Vag Com. Radiator fans were on high. Temp began to creep up. At 120 C (248 F) the AC kicked off and the radiator fans went back to low. I immediately turned off the AC and cranked the cabin heat to high, the temp slowly dropped back to normal. As in other cars, I figure the system is designed to turn off the AC when the temp gets too high.

Since I have heat, and can bring down the engine temp with the heater running, and I have water flow at the bottle the water pump must be working properly. Coolant has also been changed regularly.

I’m beginning to think that the radiator may be externally clogged with debris. This would explain why the temp does not come down on the open road but will come down with the cabin heater on high.

At elevated temperature, shouldn’t the radiator fans stay on high even if the AC isn’t running?
The difference in the Vag Com temp reading and the dash gauge reading (34 degrees) concerns me enough that I'm going to replace the temp sensor. But either way the car is still running hot.

At this point I'm looking at pulling the radiator and then blowing out the condenser from the back side. Since I'll already have the radiator out I'll likely just replace it.

Looking for input!


Strange Overheating Problem - Looking for advice

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor