HI All,
I do a long distance courier run and about 60 miles past my furthest out point for a delivery a man is selling a 2000 VW Beetle 5 speed TDI for little or nothing ($300 for a running driving car that even looks good!).
I have not looked at it yet in person (I saw pics tho) but per owner he said car is fine and only reason for sale was the fact he bought a new car.
My run is 550 miles NOT including the extra 60 miles (one way) past my normal turn around point where the car is.
Due to the large distances involved, I was leaning towards just flat towing the bug back home (I figure I can use my Gran caravan to do it since it is set up to tow) rather than breaking out the dually and trailer (only 15 MPG's empty).
Can anybody here recommend a good quality flat tow bar and how would one attach the pull bar to the beetle? (I don't even have a beetle to look at to see where / how it would attach).
I realize it would probably be easier just to trailer the beetle but I didn't relish the 15 mpg max for 670 miles and figure the caravan would do better mileage wise (it gets 23 empty BUT I have never towed anything with it as heavy as a beetle.....the hitch is rated for 3500 lbs tow weight and I have a big aux tranny cooler added.....I'd probably run it out of OD when pulling to help the tranny and help with braking...Of course I'd go real easy flat towing since there would not be any braking from the beetle just the caravan...
I have trailered plenty with the dually but never flat towed anything before....any tips or tricks I need to know about?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Andrew
I do a long distance courier run and about 60 miles past my furthest out point for a delivery a man is selling a 2000 VW Beetle 5 speed TDI for little or nothing ($300 for a running driving car that even looks good!).
I have not looked at it yet in person (I saw pics tho) but per owner he said car is fine and only reason for sale was the fact he bought a new car.
My run is 550 miles NOT including the extra 60 miles (one way) past my normal turn around point where the car is.
Due to the large distances involved, I was leaning towards just flat towing the bug back home (I figure I can use my Gran caravan to do it since it is set up to tow) rather than breaking out the dually and trailer (only 15 MPG's empty).
Can anybody here recommend a good quality flat tow bar and how would one attach the pull bar to the beetle? (I don't even have a beetle to look at to see where / how it would attach).
I realize it would probably be easier just to trailer the beetle but I didn't relish the 15 mpg max for 670 miles and figure the caravan would do better mileage wise (it gets 23 empty BUT I have never towed anything with it as heavy as a beetle.....the hitch is rated for 3500 lbs tow weight and I have a big aux tranny cooler added.....I'd probably run it out of OD when pulling to help the tranny and help with braking...Of course I'd go real easy flat towing since there would not be any braking from the beetle just the caravan...
I have trailered plenty with the dually but never flat towed anything before....any tips or tricks I need to know about?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Andrew
//// How to Flat tow a 2000 Beetle ? ////
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire