Coolant fans, DRL, and now AC

mercredi 26 juillet 2017

Several months ago, my wife complained that the DRLs did not work on her 2002 Jetta TDI (5 speed MT).

Then I got the car for a month, and changed the struts, shocks, LCA, horns, and so on. I noted that the AC was anemic, some times, but generally worked fine. I live in the country, so lotsa highway driving. So the next time I had the hood open, with the car hot, and the AC attempting to run, I found that the large (driver side) fan was not working. Assuming it was a fan, I ordered a new one, and put it on today.

After testing and installing the fan, I found that neither coolant fans came on when the ignition was turned on, and the AC was turned on. Tested it on the road, and sure enough at highway speeds there was enough air blowing by to keep the condenser cool and provide good cooling.

Since I had a backup FCM, I swapped in the backup. Then I found that the compressor would not come on anymore. Interesting, I put the old FCM in, and the AC compressor failed to fire up. Then I opened the books and the postings.

Fuse 5 also has some impact on DRL, I noted, and the DRLs had failed several months ago.

All fuses were OK.

I can't explain the change in that the compressor no longer fires up, but I'd be happy to start things with the coolant fans running on slow. From what I can tell, with all the fuses working OK, and swapping in a new FCM, the fans should have fired up on low. Rather nada.

What recommendations are there for the next steps? Any ideas regarding the co-failure of the DRL?


Coolant fans, DRL, and now AC

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor